Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Introduction to Cyber world - Part II

The day arrived finally. We had to take a train as cafes were yet to come in our area then. We reached the place only to see it full of crowd & super hot. We waited for our turn for almost like an hour. Our name was called & we were given with one system placed in a small chamber where we crammed ourselves. We had to rush as time was really expensive. While entering, probably café owner had sensed our amateur faces. He offered us a helper. We being in possession of “Complete reference of Windows 98”, simply turned down his request. Everybody out there presumed us to be proficient with cyber world. We felt happy about that.

As we sat down, we took our monstrous book out & reached the page where I had seen “Internet” icon. Below picture, instructions were given about how to reach that icon. I was in hold of the mouse (yeah, I had finally got to know) & Sandeep (other interested friend) was reading out the steps. “Go to Start, then go to control panel”. I followed as an obedient child and it paid off, I saw “Internet” icon (I was familiar with the icon itself) there. Without wasting any time I double clicked on it. A window called “Internet options” popped up on screen with various buttons in it.

I was searching a place where I can type url and I found it. I was happy to see it & also confident that I have reached a right place. I typed “http://www.yahoo.com” in “homepage” & pressed “Ok” in an instance. Window which was opened had closed now. I thought probably it will open a new window where I will get to see yahoo’s homepage. I waited for a minute or 2 but nothing came up on screen. With little anxiety I repeated this step couple of times but no miracle happened. Then I noticed “Apply” button sitting next to “Ok” & “Cancel”. That was our last hope. Did same but pressed “Apply” instead of “Ok” & whoa, this time nothing happened. “Ok” seemed much better as it was at least closing the window. But this damn “Apply” was not really applying anything for us. Grrr…. I tried restarting the system. I checked LAN connection. I did everything I knew to get that thing work, but in vain.

After trying (or rather wasting time) for 40 minutes we gave up. I went up to the owner of café & asked him to give us a helper with shame & guild on my face. Café was not so big, and everybody had heard what I said to the owner. Everybody knew previous drama (owner offering help and we denying it). Next thing was so obvious. Owner, helpers & even the crowd started laughing on me. Damn, I had never felt so embarrassed in my life before. I walked to my cabin with head down. I had no courage to meet eyes of people who just had laughed on me. Helper was following me to my cabin. I almost regretted to have visited this cyber café thing & cursed my own excitement for it.

2 comments:

  1. ha hhaa..
    but why did that window close..
    after typing Url we just press enter.. where is that OK option?
    I never saw that?

    and i don know how to do ppl comments on blogs.. i am mostly kind of doing it facebook types :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's ok Vishal.
    Actually, we had seen "Internet options" icon which is present in "Control Panel".
    And had misunderstood it as "Internet explorer".
    Place where we were typing URL in a hope to open website is where we set anything as our "Homepage".

    Real fun lies in the last episode of this topic.

    ReplyDelete